Choosing a baby car seat can be a really daunting task. There are many different models of baby car seats. Most parents just want to know what model of car seat will protect their child best in case of a car accident, while at the same time it is comfortable and easy to use. Actually, there are many different infant car seats that can satisfy your needs. The best car seat is the one you choose carefully and use appropriately, according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
When you choose among different baby car seats, you have to take several important points in consideration.
- Is the baby car seat the right size and type for my baby?
- Will this car seat be the most comfortable one for my baby?
- Can this car seat be properly adjusted in my car?
- Can I easily attach belts in the car seat on my baby?
There are 4 basic models of baby car seats:
- Infant car seats are for babies under 10 kilograms and under 12 months of age. They must be used in position where the baby looks backwards. It is best to use them in the back seat.
- Adjustable car seats can first be turned to face backwards and when the baby is 1 year old and weighs 10 kilograms, the seat can be turned to face forward. In this position, the car seat can be used until the child weights approximately 20 kilograms and is approximately 110 cm high.
- Car seats are for children over 1 year old, weighing between 10 and 20 kilograms. In this car seat the child faces forward.
- Car seats for children that can’t fit in the previously mentioned car seats. Children can sit in this model until they weight about 30-35 kilograms.
Maybe you are considering a used car seat you got as a present from a friend or family member. A used car seat can be safe for your child, but there are several things to look out for after before you start using one:
- Never use a car seat made before 1st January 1981. Car seats made before this date don’t satisfy modern standards of safety.
- Don’t use the car seat if you can’t determine when it was manufactured
- Don’t use the car seat if it misses some parts or if it is damaged, as this makes it unsafe for use
- Never use a car seat that was in a car involved in a traffic accident
- Considering that it is not sure what is averagely a safe time of use of a car seat, it is recommended to avoid car seats that are over 10 years old.
Advantages of car seats are lost if you don’t place it correctly. It is important to make sure that the car seat is well adjusted with a safety belt. Also, make sure that belts on the car seat itself are well strained. If you can put them between your fingers while the child is strapped than they are not strained enough. Regulate belts in regard of how much clothes your child is wearing on themselves while they are in the car seat. Always make sure that the belt buckle is properly locked. You, as a parent, are the key factor in your child’s safety. This is the reason why you always must use a car seat when driving your child.